Job Title: Campground Data Engineer
Reports to: CTO
Position type: Full time
Campground Data Engineer
About The Dyrt
The Dyrt is the #1 ranked camping app on both iOS and Android. With over 1 million user-submitted campgrounds, reviews, and tips — more than anyone else on the Internet — The Dyrt makes it easier to find campgrounds for the 80+ million Americans who camp.
We’re looking for a data expert to improve the depth and accuracy of our campground database and collaborate on search and recommendation tools for our community of campers. As our first dedicated data hire, you’ll work directly with the CTO to drive data improvement projects, manage data pipelines, and find ways for us to best put our data to good use.
This is a full-time, remote position. We’re primarily based in Portland, OR and expect working hours to overlap +/- 3 hours with US Pacific time.
We’re looking for people who:
- Are great communicators — Effective communication is key to how we work. We value patience and empathy in our product planning, support, and day-to-day relations.
- Work well both collaboratively and independently — We come together to pair on tricky problems and architecture, then dive deep on individual tasks.
- Are ready to learn and share knowledge — Everyone comes to our company with their own set of skills and experiences. Cross-training, code review, mentorship, and curiosity all help us build better products.
- Evolve and maintain campground data processing pipelines, combining public, private, and user-contributed data
- Use natural language processing to extract relevant highlights and amenity information from campground review text
- Coordinate manual data review and improvement projects using internal staff, community crowdsourcing, or mechanical turk
- Make use of photo geotags and computer vision (via Amazon Rekognition / GCP Vision AI) to infer information about campground amenities.
- Improve techniques for matching and deduplication between multiple data sources
- Import public data on national and state parks, forests, and recreation areas to provide a better search experience
- 4+ years of professional experience in data engineering, data science, software development, or related field
- Strong backend programming skills in one or more languages
- Experience creating and maintaining data ETL pipelines or other complex data import systems
- Fluency with SQL and relational schema design
- A friendly working relationship with CSVs
- Advanced degree in math, statistics, computer science, information science, or related field
- Experience working with geospatial datasets and GIS analysis
- Experience applying machine learning techniques to real world problems
- Familiarity with Elasticsearch